Booking and payment
Booking enquiries can be made by email, telephone or in person. We will respond by email to an enquiry and include a copy of our Terms and Conditions at this time. These form the basis of the contract between you, the client, and Selkie Explorers should you wish to proceed.
Selkie Explorers will provide you with a quotation for the price of your trip by email. Pleast note that:
- The quoted price for the trip and your selected date(s) will be held provisionally for three days. If you accept our quotation within this time, then a provisional booking will be held for seven days.
- Bookings will be secured upon receipt of 25% deposit or proof of funds transfer in the case of international payment.
- The balance of funds will be due eight weeks prior to departure. A reminder will be sent out a week before the balance is due and you will receive notification of this date on the invoice.
- Bookings made within eight weeks of departure require full payment to secure your place on the trip.
- We intend to rely on our Terms and Conditions when the booking is confirmed and they will form the contract between us together with the booking confirmation we issue to you. If you require any changes to the booking information, please ensure you ask for those changes to be put in writing as soon as possible after the booking confirmation is issued. This can help avoid any future issues concerning what you expect from us and what we expect from you.
Payment can be made via Faster Payment, BACS or international funds transfer using these bank account details:
Account name: Selkie Explorers
Sort code: 090129
Account number: 07683262
All payments must be made in GBP. Any charges are your responsibility.
Once payment has been received, you will receive a booking confirmation and receipt. This will form the contract between Selkie Explorers and yourself.
If you have to cancel or reschedule your holiday/day trip for whatever reason, please let us know by email as soon as possible. A cancellation form will be sent attached to the booking confirmation email.
You are entitled to a 14-day “cooling off” period after you receive the email confirming your booking. During this time you may cancel your trip without loss provided your notification is received by us at least eight weeks prior to the scheduled departure date.
If a cancellation notification is received after the cooling off period and 12 or more weeks prior to the trip you have booked, we will retain 15% of your deposit; if between eight and 12 weeks, 80%; and if less than eight weeks, 100%. (If you reschedule or we are able to resell your trip, we can be more flexible.)
In the unlikely event that we have to cancel your trip due to mechanical failure or illness of the crew, we will try to offer an alternative date to accommodate all parties. Otherwise, we will offer a full refund. If we have to cancel the whole trip due to other unforeseen circumstances, including Force Majeure, we will again try to reschedule. However, you have the right to cancel your booking if this is not acceptable and we will provide a full refund. In all cases our liability is limited to the fee you have paid.
Any refunds due will be processed within 14 days of receipt of any request to cancel.
Selkie Explorers have the right to terminate the contract in the event that:
- You do not make payment to Selkie Explorers. when it is due and still do not make payment of the sum after we have sent you a reminder
- You do not provide us information we require to complete the contract within a reasonable period of time. In this event, we will retain a sum of money from any sums already paid as compensation for the net costs we incur as a direct result of you failure to comply with our terms. (This sum will be the same as the cancellation fee structure.)
Health and Safety
Sailing requires a reasonable level of fitness and the ability to climb on to the boat from either a pontoon or inflatable tender. Getting in and out of the tender can involve slippery rocks, steep slopes and difficult conditions. Please note also that:
- Smoking is not permitted aboard Selkie.
- We expect guests to comply with our safety measures whilst aboard the vessel
- If you have any doubts regarding your fitness or suitability, please do not hesitate to ask us.
- If you have an existing medical condition which you think may affect your safety, the safety of others, and/or your ability to participate in the trip, please seek proper medical advice before booking with us.
- Our activities are not recommended for pregnant women. In the absence of negligence or fraudulent misrepresentation, neither Selkie Explorers nor its employees/agents shall be responsible for the death, personal injury or illness of any client, or damage to property whilst aboard the vessel.
- The minimum unaccompanied age for clients is 18.
Selkie Explorers has full third-party liability insurance. Please note this does not cover your person or goods unless attributable to our negligence. We therefore advise (and strongly recommend) that you ensure you have taken out personal and travel insurance suitable for a sailing holiday before the start of your trip.
Sailing is by its nature an unpredictable activity and therefore involves an element of risk. Each participant agrees and acknowledges that they are aware of the inherent element of risk.
All trips are weather dependant. The safety of the Selkie crew, our guests and the vessel itself are of paramount importance. The skipper’s decision is final on the management of the itinerary and running of the vessel. Prevailing weather may prevent the vessel returning guests to the stated destination. In this instance, we will do our utmost to help and accommodate guests but will not accept further liability.
The Selkie charter package
All food and non-alcoholic drinks aboard are included in the price of the charter. Some alcohol is available on board at the skipper’s discretion. Mooring and fuel costs are also included. A life jacket and harness are provided for your safety.
In the unlikely event that you are not satisfied with the service provided by Selkie Explorers, you can express your dissatisfaction by email using the form on our Contact page.
If after following our internal complaints procedure you still feel that we have not satisfactorily resolved your complaint, you can access the Online Dispute Resolution platform by clicking this link.
Every effort has been made by Selkie Explorers to give an accurate description of our vessel and equipment. However, we retain the right to change the specification and equipment at any time.
What to bring with you for Selkie Explorers daytrips
- Non-slip boots or shoes that have been cleaned. (Please ensure footwear is clean before boarding the dinghy.)
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers
- Fleece (remember that even on a sunny day, it is always cooler on the water than on land)
- Sun cream
- Water bottle
- Packed lunch
- Spare clothing is a good idea if the weather forecast is for rain
- Towel and swimming costume if you’re planning on a dip
NB: If you’re worried you might suffer from sea sickness, then consider talking to your doctor or chemist. You might find the NHS advice at this link helpful.
Getting to us
Travel to and from Selkie’s pick-up and drop-off points is not included in the price of your trip. Please note that some trips are one way, and guests must arrange their own return travel. (We will ensure that public transport is available from that location.)
Click here for directions to the marina for Selkie voyages from Mallaig, or enter postcode PH41 4QF in your satnav.
Click here for directions to the Calmac Ferry Terminal at Mallaig for crossings to Eigg, or enter postcode PH41 4QD in your satnav.
Click here to view the current ScotRail timetable for trains to Mallaig
Click here to view the Calmac winter timetable for crossings from Mallaig to the Isle of Eigg (valid October 22, 2018 – March 28, 2019)
Click here to view the Calmac summer timetable for crossings to the Isle of Eigg (valid from March 29, 2019)
For more information or further clarification, please get in touch with Selkie Explorers using the methods listed on our Contact page.